Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fufu Cake

Since going gluten-free, I've had to look outside of Western culture for recipes. Asian recipes are nice, but I found this cake recipe on a Liberian (African) site.

Fufu is a thick, pasty starchy, usually made from roots, that is a staple food of Central and Western Africa-- and it's not in the cake. However, it was in the site name (www.fufucafe.blogspot.com), so when I would search for the recipe I would type in "fufu". Hence, fufu cake.

FUFU CAKE RECIPE

7 large bananas (enough to loosely fill the blender)-- if you want to go traditional, then use plantains
1 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 cup water
1/2 to 3/4 cup molasses
1 tsp stevia, optional

2 cups cream of rice-- recipe here
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

Blend the wet ingredients in the blender until smooth. Combine with dry ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for an hour. No, seriously, an hour. I always want to pull it out early, and it is always crunchy when I do. The cake must be in the oven for an hour to cook the raw rice. If it burns before an hour, then the next time add a bit more water.

This cake holds well: I can bake it on Sunday and the children will eat off it until Tuesday.

Personally, when I hear of Fufu, I think of "Fufu the Snu." Maybe that's just me.


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this, especially after sifting the grits out of the rice. I would like to substitute a different oil though. Do you think coconut, olive, or grapeseed might work? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Olive oil might have too strong a flavor (and grapeseed is very expensive), but coconut oil seems perfect. You may need to melt it first.

    ReplyDelete