Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Rice Grits

We eat rice grits regularly now-- at least twice a week. This makes boxed grits a bit pricey. So I make my own!

HOMEMADE RICE GRITS

Ingredients: Rice


Place a bag of rice in the freezer. I hear that it usually takes about 30 minutes to freeze rice, but I usually put mine in the night before. Pour 2-3 cups of rice into the blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes until you can see no more big chunks of rice. It takes a good, sharp blender for this. My old one does not chop them nearly as fine as my new one (Read my post about my blender). Pour the blended rice into a sifter or strainer. Sift the rice grits out. They are what's left in the sifter. What's in the bowl underneath is cream of rice-- so make a Fufu Cake!! I grind 6 pounds (3 bags) of rice a week. This gives me 8 cups of cream of rice to make into two Fufu Cakes and one batch of cream of rice for breakfast, and also gives me two days (7 cups) worth of rice grits. These grits are just like the ones in the box and work exactly the same in any grit recipe (Here's mine!)


No comments:

Post a Comment