Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Gluten-Free, Casein-Free, Corn-Free Purim


Nothing says Purim like Nutella Hamantaschen. I need them. I make them every year. Every. Year. Without Nutella Hamantaschen (capital letters, please), the newness of spring becomes merely the agonal death throes of winter. Without Nutella Hamantaschen, it cannot be Purim. Without Purim, I cannot begin Passover cleaning, which means my house will sink into the abyss of unfound chametz, and chaos and panic will ensue. Nutella Hamantaschen are critical for survival. FEMA keeps track of this stuff.

Nutella contains both milk and artificial flavor. Oh, bother.

Purim is the celebration of the Jews' deliverance from yet another plot to exterminate them. A lot of people think of it as Queen Esther's holiday (the story is detailed in the book of Esther). Here's a link to one version of the story. It involves quite a bit of irony, a beauty pageant, a few face-palm moments for Haman (the king's vizier), and such noble themes as justice, family bonds, faith, and purpose.

Traditionally, the story is read to children, who "BOO" and spin groggers at Haman's name and cheer for Mordecai. Some dress up in costumes, and there is a tradition of drinking until one cannot tell the difference between Haman and Mordecai. Hangovers are not my style, so I don't recommend that one, particularly if you have to work the next day.

So I had to try to make GF/CF, Corn-free Nutella Hamantaschen. Whew.

Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread. So, I started with 2 cups of hazelnuts. Hazelnuts are incredibly expensive. I had one shot.

Hazelnut Blender Cam
I placed all of the Hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and into the oven at 420 degrees, per an online recipe. 12 minutes later, I had nicely burned hazelnuts.

"They'll be okay, Mom."
"You mean, after the smoke clears?"

Perseverance, right?

I let them cool and then rubbed them with a dry towel. This pulled the skins off and made a delightful mess. As I'm doing this, I keep hearing an ominous crackling sound coming from the nuts. In disgust, I left them to cool overnight.

Everything is supposed to look different in the morning, but these looked remarkably similar to how I had left them. I piled the hazelnuts into the blender and added canola oil. I make cashew butter every other week, so I was familiar with the process. I put in the other ingredients and out came a beautiful batch of homemade nutella. A batch of homemade nutella that tasted just like sweet, chocolatey, charcoal.

But Purim is about overcoming difficulties, right? Right?

So I tried again with cashews. I can make some mean cashew butter, so I knew I had a better shot at this. I made a base of cashew butter and added the nutella goodness. Voila! Cashew nutella. It ain't quite the same, but perhaps it will spare us the demise of Western culture. The only drawback was that this recipe used agave as the sweetener, and I found the fruity-overtones confusing. Just give me sugar. It's a holiday, after all.

I'm still looking for the ultimate GF/CF,CF sugar cookie recipe.The only sugar cookie recipe I have at this point is my Dr. Seuss recipe (that post is coming); it's not fantastic, but I thought it would work. I made a batch of that, cut out triangles/formed triangles--I couldn't decide which method was better--and plopped some chocolate cashew butter in the middle. The triangle shape is used so that it looks like Haman's tricorn hat; fashions of the American Revolution were all the rage in Ancient Persia. After baking for 10-15 minutes, I had my own homemade cashew nutella hamantaschens. Make that Cashew Nutella Hamentaschens. Yeah, I just might survive.

So, we were watching VeggieTales Esther and eating cookies. And the wheels start turning. Hazelnuts. Cashews. PEANUTS!! I made a peanut butter version using my favorite no-sugar-no-oil-just-peanuts-peanut butter: Joseph's Creamy Valencia Peanut Butter. Soooo good. It's worth another batch of cookies....

Nah.

Just hand me a spoon.

Purim Sameach!


CASHEW BUTTER

2 cups of cashews
1T of canola oil

Place cashews in the blender, and pour oil in the center. Blend until very smooth; it may take a few minutes. Makes 1 cup cashew butter


GF/CF CORN FREE NUTELLA

2 cups of hazelnuts
1 T oil
1 T vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup agave
(OR 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar
OR stevia equivalent)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup almond milk

Heat oven to 350. Place hazelnuts on a cookie sheet. Roast for 8 minutes-- watch carefully!! Let cool. Rub with a dry towel to remove skins. Place in a blender, pour oil into center of nuts. Blend for a few minutes until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and well mixed. Makes 2 cups nutella.

HAMANTASCHEN

1 cup brown rice
½ cup sweet white rice
½ cup tapioca
½ cup sugar
1T guar gum
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

 ⅓ cup water
½ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, kneading if necessary. Form into a log and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Cut slices and form into triangles. Place jelly or nutella in the middle. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

PEANUT BUTTER NUTELLA

1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup sugar

Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Makes 2 cups.



1 comment:

  1. I have almost a pound of raw hazelnuts that I don't really care for, but I eat them. I never thought of making my own Nutella! The children have missed having it in their oatmeal. I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete